Building Child’s Self Esteem – 9 Guidelines On How Parents May Help
We all believe that having a family that is spouse and kids is so wonderful. You start weaving big dreams for your child right from the day he/she is born. But just giving them food & clothing does not make you a good parent. You can spend money on your child endlessly but it is far more important to invest your time & emotions in them.
The children are like an encyclopedia of questions and you must face all their queries carefully else you might crop in some devilish idea in to their li’l but very mysterious minds.
One of the most important aspects of parenting is to build a self esteem in your child. This way, you child would be able to achieve success in regards of life, irrespective of the field they opt to go for.
Here are some important guidelines for the same:
1. The kids look up to their parents as their role models. They imbibe ideas from everything about their parents – their walk, their talk, their dressing, their behavior, etc. There are families where the parents have to rope in themselves each & every day to get food for the family. They must take care that when ever they talk of their work, they must sound positive in all regards. They must not speak out anything that gives wrong or negative ideas to the kid. This would help him/her inherit a very positive attitude in their social circle such as the school or the locality friends.
2. While helping your kids in the studies, make sure that you just help them and not spoon feed them. Do some part of the work and explain it to the child well enough and then let them carry on so that they learn better. This would also cross check the child’s ability to learn & grasp the things. And alas, it would make the child’s report card very impressive.
3. The experts say that children must go in for some or the other sports especially the team games. This is not only good for their physical strength but also adds to the inertia – that is the child’s inner strength that is the self esteem and the belief in oneself. Games like soccer, basketball, etc. teach the child team spirit and help them make more friends.
4. Sometimes the kids either have less interest in the sports or are weak as compared to the others in the team. In that case invest in a mini court and install it at some clean patch in the house. With some extra practice & focus your child would be able to become a good player and would gain interest at the same time.
5. The kids who have just zero interest in sports, with them try some other creative activities like painting, dance, music, etc. Help your child discover themselves in different fields that would add variety to the child’s life and also you never know if he / she develops a never dying passion in one of them.
6. Another idea to build self esteem in the child is to do some unusual activities. For instance, the father might go out camping with the kids, the mother might like to bake some goodies with the daughter or the entire family can go out on an adventure holiday.
7. In these activities do not worry if you face some hurdles. When the child would face these difficulties all by himself with your guidance, they would realize their hidden energy, thoughts, fears & talents. Whether good or bad, the results of these would ultimately be good as the child would gain confidence to face the world ahead.
8. After doing all these, and when you are sure that the child is now somewhat ready for the world out there, allow them to make their choices. You must not stop them, neither let them loose. Guide them with your words of support & wisdom and let them have there share of chances & luck in the world.
9. Let your child understand the consequences of their own choices and learn with their experiences! This would help them become a better human being in a long run!